U15 Coaches Resources
• PROFICIENCY WITH BOTH HANDS
• HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL DRILLS
• HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL INTENSITY
• PLAYER DOWN/ PLAYER UP
• “HELP” DEFENSE/ DOUBLE TEAMS
• SLIDES AND SECOND SLIDES
• SETTING PICKS AND DEFENDING PICKS
• RE-DEFENDING ON TRANSITION
BEGIN TO ESTABLISH A ROUTINE OF WARMUP:
• EX. STICK DRILLS: LEFT HAND, RIGHT HAND, SWITCHES, STRONG SIDE, NON-STICK SIDE, ONE HAND FOR DRAWS SHUTTLES: GROUND BALLS, STRAIGHT CUTS, V CUTS, C CUTS ADD DEFENSE ETC
KEEP DRILLS CONTINUOUS, COMPETITIVE AND GAME LIKE:
• KEEP AWAY IN A CONFINED SPACE- CHANGE THE RULES AND GOALS
• EX. OFF HAND ONLY, SWITCH HANDS TO PASS, DOUBLE TEAMS ETC
• CONTINUOUS MAN UP/ DOWN DRILLS- EXPLAIN SITUATION
• EX 3V2, 4V3, 6V4- QUICK PASSES ON OFFENSE; SLIDES AND TALKING ON D
• CONTINUOUS 3V3, 4V4, 5V5 TOWARDS GOAL- FOCUS ON QUICK TRANSITION
• SCRAMBLED EGGS- SEE ATTACHED FOR DRILL
• SETTLED DRILLS: • OFFENSE- PATIENCE AND MOVING WITHOUT THE BALL;
• DRAW AND DUMP; PASS AND PICK
• DEFENSE- COMMUNICATION, SEEING BALL AND GIRL, STOPPING BALL
OTHER GREAT DRILLS:
Competitive Ground Balls
1v1 - From sideline. Player with the ball must make a clear pass to coach or outlet
Increase to 2v2. Lines alternate teams.
Must make a pass before getting the ball back to the sideline or a pass to coach (outlet)
Competitive ground balls from the end line
2v2 going to cage. Must make a pass before shooting. Alternate lines with teams.
· Each turn 4 players (2 from each team line up alternating on each the crease line)
· Place players waiting far to the side away from the cage to avoid shots hitting players behind
1v1 from behind the cage, two elbows of the 8m and center hash
· be sure midfields are playing both attack and D
Catching and shooting on the move
Line up players on 8m elbow (or even push out to the 12). Coach is on opposite elbow. Coach throws pass to player as she cuts across the 8. Catches on the moves and turns to shoot. Shot should be taken in the 8m not on top of the crease.· 3/4 and ages up : add defender
· Defender stays GOAL SIDE
· Attacker must keep moving and cutting to get open and lose her defender.
Star Drill for passing and catching on the move
· set up five “points of a star” ball starts at top point and moves two to the left. Throwing player follows her pass. Dominate, non-dominate, ground balls, etc
Chaos- catching/ throwing warm up drill
Around middle circle, create 6 lines. The line across from each other are in a shuttle. But all lines are throwing / catching at the same time. Creating chaos in the circle. You must always keep your head up to see who else is crossing the middle; while passing and receiving to your designated line.
5v4 flow drill
( diagram needed) - Ask Meredith Tierney
3v3 in half the 8m
Cut the 8m in half with cones.
3 attacker line up ( top, outside elbow, corner of crease)
Attack is working on staying wide, NOT cutting through to draw defenders close, quick passes
Defense - sticks up. Deny passes and cutters. Stay goal side.